Wednesday, July 10, 2019

First Rock concert



May 14, 1965

“Boss of the Bay,” KYA presents the Rolling Stones, the Byrds, Beau Brummels, Paul Revere and the Raiders, and the Vejtables, at Civic Auditorium. San Francisco

My parents took me to the concert and dropped me off,  I went in alone. The Byrds were great, but with the stones, all I could hear was screaming kids. I wanted to listen to the music.  Things haven't changed that much I still want to listen to the music.

June 24, 1967
The second concert I went to 1967.  A Fact, But on the night I went  Opening for  Jefferson Air planer was Big Brother and the Holding Company with Janis Joplin Opening for Jimi. Grace had a sore throat or something.  I went on a Friday or Saturday.  Saw Pigpen there, It was a magical evening and Jimi was fantastic…. But so was everything.

Janis was 1000% present, and everyone was present.  It was my introduction to what a total sensory experience could be. 

She sang with such urgency and power, Gabor Sabo played quiet mellow fluid Jazz.  And when the strobe lights started flashing Jimi stopped playing and asked the lights folks to turn me off..  I was amazed for a moment in time, transfixed, spellbound, in awe of the lights, the sounds, the people.   The world could have been melting and it would have been okay.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment